Core Values and ways of working
Supporters, candidates and independent councillors supported by ProDem share five core values that underpin a commitment to a particular way of working:
- Independence: We will each make up our own mind about every decision without reference to a shared dogma or ideology
- Integrity: Decisions will be made in an open and understandable manner. Information will be made available even when we make mistakes and everyone will have the opportunity to influence decisions.
- Positivity: We will look for solutions, involving others in the discussions, not just describe problems.
- Creativity: Use new, or borrowed, ideas from within the group and the wider community to refresh what we do and how we do it.
- Respect: Understand that everyone has an equal voice and is worth listening to. Accept that you win sometimes, you lose sometimes, it’s usually nothing personal and there really is no point in taking defeats to heart
These are our Ways of Working
Listen attentively – one person speaking at any time
Be open minded and prepared to change your mind
Question evidence, information, assumptions
Be honest and transparent – give reasons for decisions
Be inclusive and respectful of differences – avoid being personal
Be constructive, solution focussed and forward thinking
Be creative and use others’ skills/ideas to do stuff differently and better
Develop an ethos of our “Council acting as a facilitator for the community” as per the Frome model